Texas A&M Wind Symphony
This select ensemble represents the finest wind and percussion players on the TAMU campus. The literature performed ranges from chamber works of the 16th century to the most recent original compositions for large band. Here is our repertoire.
The Wind Symphony has performed at the Texas Music Educators Association (six times), the Western International Band Clinic in Seattle, the American Bandmasters Association (two times and convention host once), the College Band Directors National Association Convention (twice), and at the 2010 and 2019 Midwest Clinic in Chicago. In 2008, the wind symphony performed in New York City’s Carnegie Hall. Since 1999, four European concert tours with the wind symphony have resulted in performances in Italy, Germany, Ireland, Austria, The Czech Republic, and England. The band records regularly each academic year and its series of compact discs recordings are with Mark Recordings of New York. Dr. Timothy Rhea, Director of Bands, has served as conductor of the wind symphony since 1995.
Music 280, Section 501, M 6:00-8:00 PM, TTh 2:20-3:35 PM, 1 Hour Credit
The Department of Music Activities is complying with all protocols required by the University. For the most current COVID-19 information, please see http://www.tamu.edu/coronavirus/
In light of the fact that New Student Conferences will be conducted online for at least part of the Summer of 2020, auditions for the concert bands, jazz bands, and string orchestras will follow suit. Auditions should be completed before your New Student Conference to enable you to register for the correct ensemble. If there is a circumstance that prohibits this, please contact Mr. Tipton at email@example.com.
- Fill in the appropriate audition form
or you can email Mr. Russell Tipton at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You will be contacted by the director of the ensemble to set up an audition time via Zoom.
- For the audition, you will need to select and perform material that includes two contrasting excerpts which exhibit both technical facility and lyrical qualities. Students should prepare approximately two minutes of each style. You will also receive a sight-reading selection via email very shortly before your audition time.
- We understand that there may be circumstances where you may usually use a school instrument that you may not have access to at this time. We want everyone to have as successful audition as they can, so please communicate this with the director after you complete your audition form. We will handle these on a case by case basis.
- For Percussionists: You may or may not have access to equipment/instruments for your audition. We will work with you on a case by case basis and will consider what you have available or possible past recordings. Please complete the form and the director will contact you to discuss options.
- To speak with a director by phone, please call our regular number, 979.845.3529 and leave a message that includes your name, call back number, instrument played and what ensemble you are interested in. The appropriate director will call you back within 2 business days.