Symphonic Winds, Symphonic Band, Concert Band
These ensembles consist of outstanding wind and percussion players from all areas of the TAMU campus. Literature performed by the bands is chosen from the best of traditional and contemporary band works. The bands perform two concerts per semester and occasionally participate in off campus concerts and tours. Students from all majors are welcome in the band and Corps of Cadets membership is not required.
The Symphonic Winds and Symphonic Band each rehearse three times per week and the Concert Band rehearses two times per week during the regular academic day. Preparations are done without the use of sectional rehearsals or other additional rehearsals to allow students to focus on studies and to have the ability to join other organizations and activities. You can see our repertoire here.
Ensemble Courses and Times:
Symphonic Winds: Music 280, Section 502, MWF, 1:50 PM-2:40 PM, 1 Hour Credit
Travis Almany – Conductor
Symphonic Band: Music 280, Section 503, MWF, 11:30 AM-12:20 PM, 1 Hour Credit
Russell Tipton – Conductor
Concert Band: Music 280, Section 504, TTh, 11:10 AM-12:25 PM, 1 Hour Credit
Russel Tipton – Conductor
Membership in the Texas A&M University concert ensembles is based on a live audition. Auditions are by appointment and take place in the Music Activities Center. Audition material is selected by the student auditioning and should include two contrasting excerpts which exhibit both technical facility and lyrical qualities. Students should prepare approximately two minutes of each style. Percussionists should select three excerpts, one each on timpani, snare, and keyboards. Sight reading is also included in the audition process.
Scheduling an Audition
The Department of Music Activities is complying with all protocols required by the University. For the most current COVID-19 information, please see http://www.tamu.edu/coronavirus/
In light of the fact that New Student Conferences will be conducted online for at least part of the Summer of 2020, auditions for the concert bands, jazz bands, and string orchestras will follow suit. Auditions should be completed before your New Student Conference to enable you to register for the correct ensemble. If there is a circumstance that prohibits this, please contact Mr. Tipton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fill in the appropriate audition form
or you can email Mr. Russell Tipton at email@example.com
- You will be contacted by the director of the ensemble to set up an audition time via Zoom.
- For the audition, you will need to select and perform material that includes two contrasting excerpts which exhibit both technical facility and lyrical qualities. Students should prepare approximately two minutes of each style. You will also receive a sight-reading selection via email very shortly before your audition time.
- We understand that there may be circumstances where you may usually use a school instrument that you may not have access to at this time. We want everyone to have as successful audition as they can, so please communicate this with the director after you complete your audition form. We will handle these on a case by case basis.
- For Percussionists: You may or may not have access to equipment/instruments for your audition. We will work with you on a case by case basis and will consider what you have available or possible past recordings. Please complete the form and the director will contact you to discuss options.
- To speak with a director by phone, please call our regular number, 979.845.3529 and leave a message that includes your name, call back number, instrument played and what ensemble you are interested in. The appropriate director will call you back within 2 business days.